Saturday, February 6, 2010

FEBRUARY PREPAREDNESS GOAL

Here are my goals for February:

TP: I am WAY WAY WAY low on this very important essential so I need to stock up this month. I will budget $20 for this purchase and get as much as I can. A lot of times I will get a nicer brand (say Charmin) in a super pack for our immediate use, and then get the dollar store (6 rolls for $1-yeah!) for emergency purposes...if it comes down to it, we will be very happy to have the generic version!
*Note: We sell a toilet paper kit that consists of a squirt bottle, some cloths that have been reinforced around the edges and a bucket...sounds gross but if you're unable to make it to the store, it would be a great alternative to TP. I need to have one of those on hand in my storage also. (If you are interested email me at foodstoragenow@gmail.com)

Emergency Medical Supplies: Seeing all the chaos in Haiti has helped me rethink and evaluate some areas in my storage that are lacking. One of our readers was asking me what supplies would be great to have on hand for disinfecting, etc., in order to possibly prevent infection and eventually, amputations. I consulted Joan, who knows a heck of a lot about preparedness, and she gave this list to start with:
Bandages (found bulk at the farm supply store)
Bag balm (also found at the farm supply store; contains great healing antibodies and is cheap)
Hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol: cheap at the dollar store, it also comes on sale during caselot, sometimes 2/$1
Lavender essential oil: for burns and cuts, won't sting
Ionic Silver: can be applied directly to a wound without stinging, we sell this
Epsom Salts: also cheap at the dollar store, last indefinitely

Here's a good place to start. I will probably budget another $20 for these supplies and see how far that gets me. Join me if you want, let's work out way into preparedness one month at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment