Friday, September 3, 2010

SEPTEMBER PREPAREDNESS CHALLENGE

Each month I focus my preparedness efforts on two specific goals; it seems a lot less intimidating that way and a lot more do-able. So I invite you to join me with these goals or create some of your own; just make sure you're doing something each month to build your storage!

1-I have done a little canning already and found how unprepared I was with the basic supplies I needed. That is very irritating when you are up to your elbows in tomatoes and have to run to the store. So I am challenging myself to stock up on my years' supply of canning needs, since they are on sale right now. Here are some of the things I need to have on hand:
Canning lids (I'm ample for jars)
Vinegar; white and cider
Sugar
Pectin
Lemon juice
Pickling salt

2-Guess what is coming up??? Case lot! Some of the stores have already begun. I usually visit Macey's and the Providence location is starting their case lot sale on September 29, so I have almost a whole month to prepare! This means creating room in my budget, taking inventory in my 3 month supply, making sure I have space to keep it all, and making a great list of exactly what I need. Although it gets a little crazy for me to shop the case lot sale, it helps my peace of mind tremendously. I love the feeling of everything being "gathered in" for the winter. I am such a squirrel that way :)

Good luck with your goals this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment