Saturday, October 2, 2010

OCTOBER PREPAREDNESS CHALLENGE

Can you believe it's October already? This is when the holidays start creeping up, until, wham! the craziness hits and then the year is over. I can't believe how fast it goes. Before the madness begins, commit to being consistent with your preparedness and join me in my goals this month!

With the harvest season and winter coming on, I am still focusing on "gathering in" and securing a good food supply for the winter months when I just plain don't want to go out in the freezing cold and snow and go shopping. I like to have everything on hand and shop about once or twice a month. So, this month I will be

1) Re-stocking my three-month supply with case lot finds, and taking inventory of my years' supply with a plan to work slowly towards getting that re-stocked. (For some great ideas on planning, inventory, and rotating, check out http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/)

2) Stocking up on paperware. In the event of water shortage, holiday run-around, a quick goodie plate for a neighbor, and the arrival of a baby and lack of time to do dishes I want to make sure I have plenty of paper plates, cups, napkins, bowls, utensils around to fill in the gaps. Not a really green way to live, I understand, but I only use them on occasion, and it prevents me from using the water to wash dishes, so...it's how it's gotta be. I'm always glad when I have some in my storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment