Tuesday, March 1, 2011

MARCH PREPAREDNESS GOAL-or, how to use your tax return!


With world events being what they are, I have been really thinking about what I need to work on with my preparedness. As I have sought for answers, I have found I have much yet to do! I have heard some great ideas on how to use your tax return (or a portion of it) for preparedness purposes, and I plan to do some of these:


1. Set aside some money for your emergency savings fund. (Recommended by LDS church leaders and Dave Ramsey: 6 month to a years' supply of savings)


2. Buy the basics; bulk up on your years' supply (wheat, sugar, milk, salt, legumes, oil, etc.) These are the items that are projected to skyrocket with pricing in the next several months. Good sources: LDS dry pack canneries and case-lot sales, which should be happening in the next few weeks at Associated Food Stores. Macey's always has a ready supply of these goods also.


3. Work on your 3 mo. supply of foods, foods you would like to have in an emergency, not just "survival" foods. Focus especially on proteins like peanut butter, meats i.e. tuna, etc. I also love canned soups for an easy and filling back-up.


4. Buy a first aid kit. This is one of my goals this month! I have been doing some research on this and there are TONS of resources on the internet. One reliable source would be the American Red Cross. They have kits for home, car, pets, business, etc. In the event of an emergency, I can see a first aid kit being invaluable.


5. Buy a fire extinguisher. Again, look on the internet for zillions of options. They are not terribly expensive, and it's a good idea to have one on each floor. If you could stop a small fire in your home, you could save yourself a lot of problems with smoke and water damage at the least. With this, it's a good idea to test your smoke detectors to be sure they are operating. And have I mentioned...batteries!


6. Another of my goals is to get another filled propane tank for back up cooking fuel. Around $40, these are a little pricey, but I know if I don't use the fuel in an emergency situation, I can always use it for summer barbeques!


7. And, last but not least, I've been putting off the secondary heating monster long enough; time to pony up the cash for a small woodburning stove to have as a back up (which of course means I need to have some wood put aside somewhere). We have way too cold of winters to be without heat. If anyone has a good contact for me in this area please leave a comment!


Don't get overwhelmed; pick one or two of these items that you really need to work on and just do it! You will find peace knowing that you are preparing for that "rainy day," even just a little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment