Friday, April 8, 2011

APRIL PREP GOAL


My oh my is it April already? Can't hardly tell with 18 inches of new snow outside! Guess it just means using the time to work on preparedness goals rather than the yard! So here goes...


1) Prep the garden. Oops. Guess I can't get out of yard work after all. I have a giant vegetable garden and this year I have some great ideas to increase my yield without the great weed harvest that I always seem to get. I found a GIANT piece of heavy-duty black plastic that will fit over the ENTIRE garden (on eBay, of course!), at which point I will cut slits in it for rows, and small holes for individual plants like tomatoes. Hopefully that will save me a ton of work. I plan to use railroad ties to secure the edges and keep those naughty little weeds from sneaking through the sides. So...need to get the tractor man over here to till and flatten, and have the plastic ready to go right over. Costs: Tilling ($25), plastic ($180....yeah, it's an investment for sure), seeds (already in my storage but you can get a great supply for 20 bucks or less).


If food supply goes short this year...at least we'll have a ton of fresh vegetables! (And of course we will can the surplus at summers' end.)


2) Fill in some holes on the 72 hour kits. My kits are pretty sad, actually. I am planning to buy some hardy and compact foodstuffs, flashlights with extra batteries, and whistles for each one. (Just think...if you are trapped in rubble with a whistle handy...how great would THAT be!) Just a few bucks to spend there. Going into summer, it's also a good idea to have sunscreen, water, and a sunhat in there.


A side note: I was checking out Walmart's camping aisle the other day and they have some excellent preparedness items. One that I am really considering is kerosene lamps with kerosene; the whole set-up is about 10 bucks and you can burn them indoors. I understand the fuel is much safer to store also.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment