Wednesday, September 7, 2011

SEPTEMBER PREPAREDNESS CHALLENGE

I have been studying the story of Noah and Joseph of Egypt in depth for a couple of months. I would encourage you to do the same; there are some great insights there in the way of preparedness and I have gained some great inspiration for my own preparedness efforts. I think the biggest insight I have received is to be consistent with my preparedness; Noah and Joseph both knew tough times were coming and they didn't wait for the "signs" before they started preparing. They did what they were inspired to do for years before the difficulties came.

This month I have been re-organizing my 72 hour kits; basically re-packing them into totes and putting them where they are easily accessible. I have supplies/hygiene needs in one, food in another, and then each person has their individual bucket with some extra clothing,shoes, water that they can carry on their own. I don't know if this is the best way, but with my fairly big family, it works for the time being. I will do more research on 72-hour kits to see if I need to revamp at a later time, but right now I feel it is important to have it all together and accessible, at least.

I also intend to get some extra gardening supplies (hand tools, fertilizer, etc.) at clearance pricing, as well as stock up on paperware (I have an entire 20 gal. tote set aside just for paperware...don't want to use up precious water/time on dishes in a crisis situation!) It will take some discipline to leave that tote for emergency purposes only as I always seem to be out of paper plates :)

I will post a great indoor gardening idea later.

No comments:

Post a Comment