Saturday, July 3, 2010

JULY PREPAREDNESS CHALLENGE

Happy summer everyone! Isn't the sunshine great? Here's what I'm planning to do for my preparedness in July, join me if you can!

*As the weather heats up and the water gets scarce, I am reminded that I need to revamp my water storage. I will empty and refill my barrels, get all my filtering supplies in one place, and restock my bottled water supply (it seems to dwindle very quickly in the summer months...) I have also heard that freezers will operate more efficiently when full, so I may fill up a few milk jugs and stick them in to fill in the empty spots as well as provide for more water storage and/or ice in the event of an emergency. There are other places in your home where water is available that you may not have considered, i.e. water heater tanks and toilet tanks. Of course, those should be used as a last resort. Remember, the recommended water storage amount is 2 weeks for each person, which is about a gallon per person per day.
Here are some guidelines on water storage: http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7534-1-4065-1,00.html
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/

Plug here: If you need help with your water storage/purifying/conserving during an emergency, come to the free water class we are holding on July 28! Info above.


*I need to do some planning for canning. I have a good idea of what my garden yield will be and will take inventory from my storage to see what I could use more of for winter. I'll also be watching for produce sales in stores and farmers' markets in case I would like to can anything that I am not currently growing. So many times in the summer, though, many generous people share their surplus so I rarely have to buy anything...what a help!

Good luck with your summer prepardness goals! Don't let the sun get you sidetracked! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment